As the EKU Marching Band played “Hey Baby”, Lucas proposed to Kathlyn
With their deep faith in God, Kathlyn and Lucas said “I Do”, with just a small group of family and friends. The Covid-19 pandemic caused quite a few changes to this sweet couple’s wedding plans. But in the end, they just wanted to be married, and nothing else mattered. So, the wedding took place as scheduled, but the reception was postponed to 2021. Since guests were not allowed indoors, they got married outside their church, underneath the porch canopy.
The groom’s uncle had made the arbor just for this occasion and it will remain in the family for other special occasions. The weather called for rain all day but apparently our prayers were answered and we had an absolutely gorgeous, dry day. Kathlyn and Lucas used to be in the Eastern Kentucky University Marching Band. In fact, that is where they met. And today, Lucas is the EKU band director and Kathlyn directs Color Guard. When Lucas proposed, he had the marching band play “Hey Baby”. So, at their ceremony send off, they chose to do a ribbon wand exit. It was so much fun! In fact, it was so much fun that they circled around and did it 3 times! As photographers, of course, we loved the extra opportunities to snap photos!
When Lucas proposed to Kathlyn, he had the band play “Heyyyyyeeyyy Baby! I wanna kno-oo-ow if you’ll be my girl!” Oh, how I wish Dave and I could have been there to capture that!
The bride’s mom, Luann, made many beautiful handmade signs for the ceremony. The groom’s mom, Denise, and her cousin also participated in making the outside of the church a beautiful backdrop for the wedding, by making beautiful floral decor, with help from Donna from The Florence Baptist Church.
In 2021, we celebrated with a larger crowd at The Devou Golf and Event Center. And again, the guys from the band surprised Kathlyn with their song, this time singing it to her in “proposal style”.
We wish Kathlyn and Lucas a lifetime of joy!
Vendors who made their dream come true:
- Church: Florence Baptist Church (https://florencebaptist.org/)
- Flowers: Amy Martin Meyers (groom’s mother’s cousin)
- Hair and Makeup: Kierra Norman, Downtown Beauties in Richmond, KY, (859) 353-8478
- Bridal Dress Purchase: Vivi’s in Richmond, KY (https://www.facebook.com/Vivis-1576953709231406/)
- Bridal Dress Designer: David Tutera, davidtutera.com
- Groom & Groomsen Attire: JC Penney, jcpenney.com
- Handmade signs and rhymes: Luann Cummings (Mother of the bride)
- Reception Venue: Devou Golf and Event Center, https://www.devouparkgolf.com/
- Scot Mescher (859-760-1294) or Sonia Lawson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- DJ: Dave Kruger, Elite Signature (email@example.com), https://elitesignaturedjs.com
- Cake/Desserts: Buttercup Cake House (http://www.buttercupcakehouse.com/)
- Catering: Be Creative Catering (https://becreativecatering.com/)
Add a comment